Reimbursement for Child or Spousal Support from a Different Relationship

California Family Code Section 915 (b) states, “If property in the community estate is applied to the satisfaction of a child or spousal support obligation of a married person that does not arise out of the marriage, at a time when nonexempt separate income of the person is available but is not applied to the satisfaction of the obligation, the community estate is entitled to reimbursement from the person in the amount of the separate income, not exceeding the property in the community estate so applied.”

Simply put, if you or your spouse pay child or spousal support from a different relationship during your marriage, the other spouse may be entitled to reimbursement. This most likely would be taken into account when finalizing the final division of assets and debts and can effect how much one spouse pays or receives from the other. 

If you are going through divorce in Santa Barbara, call Morales Law, P.C. today for a free consultation (805) 422-7966.

Related Posts
  • Family Law Issues in California Read More
  • What If My Ex Does Not Pay Child Support Read More
  • What Happens To My Custody Agreement If I Need To Move Out of State? Read More