What To Do When Your Spouse Files For Divorce

When you are served with a Santa Barbara Divorce case, you should immediately call a Santa Barbara Divorce Lawyer. A lawyer will review page two of divorce summons, which contains Automatic Temporary Restraining Orders, commonly referred to by Santa Barbara Divorce Law experts at ATROS. 

Upon being served with the divorce summons, you CANNOT do the following without a court order or written agreement of the other party:

1. Remove minor children of the parties from the state.

2. Apply for a new or replacement passport for any minor children.

3. Cashing, borrowing against, canceling, transferring, disposing of, or changing the beneficiaries of any insurance or other coverage, including life, health, automobile, and disability, held for the benefit of the parties and their minor children. 

4. Transferring, encumbering (getting a loan), hypothecating, concealing, or in any way disposing of any property, real or personal, whether community, quasi-community, or separate, except in the usual course of business or for the necessities of life.

5. Creating a nonprobate transfer or modifying a nonprobate transfer in a manner that affects the disposition of property subject to the transfer, without consideration of the other party or an order of the court. Before revocation of a nonprobate transfer can take effect or a right of survivorship to property can be eliminated, a notice of the change must be filed and served on the other party. 

6. You must notify each other of any proposed extraordinary expenditures at least five business days prior to incurring these extraordinary expenditures and account to the court for all extraordinary expenditures made after these restraining orders are effective. However, you may use community property, quasi-community property, or your own separate property to pay an attorney to help you or to pay court costs. 

If you have been served with a Divorce Case in Santa Barbara, call your Santa Barbara Divorce Lawyer, Morales Law, who handle Santa Barbara Divorce Law cases. Call for a free consultation (805) 422-7966