Santa Barbara Divorce Law- When Will Spousal Support (alimony) Payments Begin?

Santa Barbara Divorce Law- When Will Spousal Support (alimony) Payments Begin?

By Marcus Morales on Jul 24, 2018 in Spousal Support

When deciding to divorce in Santa Barbara, many parties ask, “When will I start receiving spousal support?” Or “When will I have to start paying spousal support?”

First, a spousal support order needs to be appropriate under Cal. Family Code § 4320. For example, if you make roughly equal incomes, and your assets are substantially similar as your spouse, you may not be obligated to pay spousal support or receive spousal support. 

Second, an order for spousal support typically starts on the date a party files a motion for spousal support. ”An order for spousal support in a proceeding for dissolution of marriage or for legal separation of the parties may be made retroactive to the date of filing the notice of motion or order to show cause, or to any subsequent date.” Cal. Fam. Code § 4333. You won‘t start receiving spousal support immediately upon filing, but rather you will need to go to the court hearing and the judge will decide the amount of spousal support and the effective date for any back (or retroactive) support due.

Spousal support law in Santa Barbara is complicated, and having an experienced spousal support lawyer in Santa Barbara is necessary to achieve your desired results. Call Morales Law today for a consultation into your Santa Barbara Divorce Law, Santa Barbara Family Law or Santa Barbara Spousal Support matter. (805) 845-5405. 

Ask a Question

* Required

Clients Are Saying:

I retained Mr. Morales for a divorce over a year ago and though the actual divorce was difficult, his communication was timely, his demeanor professional and most importantly, his ability to protect/advocate for my interests was exceptional. The divorce is drawing to a close and I feel that he has consistently brought me value and expertise through this divorce proceeding. I would highly recommend him to assist in your separation, or divorce.

Featured Article

Take Our Information With You

Print Friendly and PDF