FAMILY CODE SECTION 6500-6502
6500. A minor is an individual who is under 18 years of age. The
period of minority is calculated from the first minute of the day on
which the individual is born to the same minute of the corresponding
day completing the period of minority.
6501. An adult is an individual who is 18 years of age or older.
6502. (a) The use of or reference to the words “age of majority,”
“age of minority,” “adult,” “minor,” or words of similar intent in
any instrument, order, transfer, or governmental communication made
in this state:
(1) Before March 4, 1972, makes reference to individuals 21 years
of age and older, or younger than 21 years of age.
(2) On or after March 4, 1972, makes reference to individuals 18
years of age and older, or younger than 18 years of age.
(b) Nothing in subdivision (a) or in Chapter 1748 of the Statutes
of 1971 prevents amendment of any court order, will, trust, contract,
transfer, or instrument to refer to the 18-year-old age of majority
if the court order, will, trust, contract, transfer, or instrument
satisfies all of the following conditions:
(1) It was in existence on March 4, 1972.
(2) It is subject to amendment by law, and amendment is allowable
or not prohibited by its terms.
(3) It is otherwise subject to the laws of this state.